This hospital is one of a number which belong to the Salvation Army. This hospital has been initiated before the independance era, in the year 1924.
At that time it was a Maternity hospital.
Nowadays, the hospital is classified as a category C hospital (Reg.code 3578031) with 100 beds
The hospital is situated on the Jalan Diponegoro no. 34 at Surabaya (coordinates: latitude: -7,28 and longitude: 112,74).
The hospital has 364 employees. Of whom 70 medical doctors and 130 nurses, 18 midwives and 25 pharmaceutical personnel, 48 housekeeping and technical functions and 73 involved in management and administration.
The website of the hospital is: www. rswilliamboothsby.com. From this website we copied some historic data (Google translated and abbreviated):
The Salvation Army is the owner of the William Booth Hospital service in Surabaya. The Salvation Army organization is an international movement that is also an integral part of the universal church organization. The Salvation Army was built by an evangelist named William Booth in 1865 in London, England.
In Indonesia, the Salvation Army service was initiated by Ensign Adolf Theodorus Van Emmerik and Staff Captain Jacob Gerrit Brouwer who started their service on November 24, 1894 in a village called Sapuran Purworejo, Central Java.
In its service, the Salvation Army that existed during the Dutch East Indies era was better known as “HET LEGER DES HEILS”. Since 1908, in a house that was rented on Jalan Genteng No.34 Surabaya, the Salvation Army has been providing services for mothers and babies.
Furthermore, in 1915 the Government and the City Health Service asked the Salvation Army to start health services in the city of Surabaya.
A larger house was rented later by the Salvation Army in the Tambak Bayan area. Young mothers and their babies were moved to this place and a Salvation Army service was started through the Maternity Home led by Adjutant Geertruida Salet until 1923. The facilities at the Maternity Home owned at that time were 20 beds
and a polyclinic.
In 1924 the Salvation Army obtained a plot of land located on Reinersz Boulevard (now Jalan Diponegoro) from the Dutch East Indies Government.
Annie Beckley’s aide, who was appointed as the new head of health services at the Maternity Home at the time, took care of moving the Maternity Home in Tambak Bayan to the location on Reinersz Boulevard. It was in this place that William Booth Hospital, known at that time as “WILLIAM BOOTH ZIEKENHUIS”, was built.
January 3, 1924 was a very historic day for the William Booth Hospital in Surabaya, because on that day the groundbreaking of the hospital building was carried out by Mrs. G. Henden Brinks on behalf of the Resident at that time (this date was later designated as the anniversary of the House. William Booth Surabaya Hospital).
In 1942 during the Second World War, the William Booth Hospital in Surabaya was taken over by the Japanese government and used as a special hospital part of the Central General Hospital.
In 1945, after independence was won by the Indonesian people, the management of the William Booth Hospital in Surabaya was then controlled by the Government of the Republic of Indonesia.It was only in 1947 that William Booth Hospital in Surabaya was handed back to the Salvation Army to be managed until now.