This hospital was one of the main public hospitals in pre-independence years. The hospital is established on Jalan Dr. Sutomo no.16 at Kota Semarang. The coordinates are: Latitude: -6,99 and Longitude: 110,407.
It is classified as a category A hospital (registration number: 3374010) with 1,054 beds. The staff of the hospital exists of almost 3000 persons, 227 of whom belong to the medical discipline, 1668 to the nursing departments, 83 are midwifes, 231 work in the pharmacy, 283 have technical medical duties, 247 have an academic background and some 300 have other occupations.
The hospital is owned by the Ministry of Health (Kemkes)
The website of the hospital is : http://www.rskariadi.co.id
A brief history of the establishment of Dr Kariadi Hospital until it was designated as the current BLU Hospital. Founded during the Dutch colonial era on September 9, 1925, it was known as Centrale Buzgerlijke Ziekewsichting (CBZ) - (9 September was used as the Anniversary of Dr. Kariadi Hospital) then during the Japanese colonial era it became "Purusara" (Center for People's Hospital). Became a vertical hospital belonging to the Ministry of Health under the name RSUP Dr. Kariadi based on the Decree of the Minister of Health of the Republic of Indonesia No. 21215/Kab/1964 dated April 14, 1964. Based on the Decree of the Minister of Health of the Republic of Indonesia No. 546/Men.Kes/SK/III/1978, it is classified as a Class B General Hospital for Education and with the Decree of the Minister of Health of the Republic of Indonesia no. 134/Menkes/SK/1978 regulates the structure of the hospital. Dr. Kariadi. Based on the Decree of the Minister of Health of the Republic of Indonesia No.1130/Menkes/SK/XII/1003, on December 10, 1993 it was designated as a Self-funded Unit Hospital with an organizational structure based on the Decree of the Minister of Health No. 546/Menkes/VI/1994 dated June 13, 1994 concerning the Organization and Work Procedures of Dr. RSUP. Kariadi. In 1997 as a Government Agency User of Non-Tax State Revenue (PNBP) based on Law no. 20 of 1997. Based on PP No. 120 of 2000 concerning the Establishment of a Service Company of Dr. RSUP. Kariadi, the status of the hospital changed to a Service Company which was operational in 2002. Finally, in 2005 its status was changed to a Government Agency that implemented PPK-BLU based on PP no. 23 of 2005 and the Decree of the Minister of Health of the Republic of Indonesia No. 1243/MENKES/SK/VII/2005 dated August 11, 2005. Period 1925 - 1942 (Dutch East Indies Government Period) In 1919 the ideas and plans of dr. N.F. Liem to replace and combine the City Hospital ( Stadverband Ziekenhuis ) in Tawang with the City Assistant Hospital ( Hulp Stadverband Ziekenhuis ) in Semarang Square. The plan can be realized by building a bigger hospital in the city of Semarang. Construction of the Hospital began in 1920 and was completed five years later. So precisely on September 9, 1925, Centrale Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting was born, known as CBZ. At that time the capacity of the hospital was 500 beds. The hospital for the sick consisted of a large ward that accommodated forty-five beds. The room facilities were adapted to the livelihoods of the Indlanders at that time. Several specialties already exist, namely internal medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology. It seems that the planner Ooiman Van Leeuwen and the implementing Opzichter, Mr. Wijanarko, have thought further, so that in the building system, the separation between the polyclinic and the treatment room is clear. This situation may be known after they saw and studied the buildings for the treatment of the sick, as well as dormitories, kitchens, laundry, laboratories, medicine rooms, administrative offices and garages. Housing doctors and nursing staff were built around the hospital, apparently designed for efficiency. There was no need for transportation facilities for employees, which was still rare at that time, in addition to being able to act quickly in cases of an emergency. Sports facilities did not escape their thoughts, so a soccer field was also built. The first director to lead this hospital was dr. N.F. Liem and his wife's name Liembergsma were later used as street names in the residential complex for maintenance workers. Initially, this hospital prioritized the function of medical services in the form of curative treatment and paramedical education functions. During this period, new parts were established, namely the eye, ENT and genital skin. This can be done in connection with the establishment of the Army Hospital in Semarang which already has expert doctors for these sections. The paramedic education at that time was known by the names - Mantri Verpleger (ster) and vroedvrouw - more and more attracted the hearts of the Bumiputra children, even though they knew how harsh and strict the discipline was carried out by the Dutch zusters. Being a student at that time had to have a very strong mentality and must be accompanied by a really healthy physique, because in twenty-four hours one had to work from 17.00 to 05.00 the next morning. Not a few were fired for the slightest mistake. But this brings positive things in the future, because the quality of the CBZ's mantri - mantri - mantri CBZ Semarang can be proud of. In the field of soccer, the CBZ team has received an honorable place in the midst of clubs in the city of Semarang. Period 1942 - 1945 ( Japanese Occupation Period ) During the Japanese occupation from 1942 - 1945 the hospital did not experience much change. The Japanese authorities limited themselves, only to continue and run existing businesses. During this period, what should be noted is the move of the polyclinic (1944) from the old place which was originally adjacent to the current administrative office to a new place (the old outpatient unit). Another thing to note is that at that time no Japanese worked at this hospital. This is very beneficial, because then the youth of the hospital can more freely join with other fighters in the city of Semarang. After the Japanese entered, the Dutch doctors were arrested and to fill the vacancy in the hospital leadership, dr. Notokuworo acts as Director. But not long after the hospital leadership was held by dr. Buntaran Martoatmodjo until 1945. From this it can be seen that since the Dutch East Indies government surrendered to Japan, this hospital has been led by the Indonesian people themselves. The Japanese government changed the name of CBZ to PURUSARA, which stands for - CENTRAL HOSPITAL RAKYAT - which in Japanese is called -Chuo Simin Byoing-.
Period 1945 - 1950 (Revolutionary Period / Transition) Japan was then defeated by the Allies; and at the same time Indonesia proclaimed its independence. Apparently the Japanese only wanted to submit to the Allies, as a result, a five-day battle broke out in the city of Semarang. Doctor M. Kariadi along with eight other hospital employees died as heroes during this battle. For this reason, every year the five-day battle in Semarang is commemorated at this hospital. The arrival of NICA in the city of Semarang could no longer be detained. Many doctors and nursing staff left the city for the Republican areas. Then many of them got a good position in the military and in the field of government. But other employees are still allowed to stay in the hospital as non-cooperators. They remain republican in the midst of NICA's power. Since Buntaran doctors have been mostly in Jakarta, from 1945 to 1948 this hospital was led by dr. Soekarno. 1950 period - until now After the recognition of the sovereignty of the Republic of Indonesia, this hospital changed its name to R.S.U.P. stands for RUMah Sakit UMUM CENTER Semarang, and since April 14, 1964 it was changed to HOSPITAL DOKTER KARIADI (SK. Minister of Health No. 21215/Kab/1964). The increasing number of population, increasing public understanding of health and progress in the field of medical science demand the need for immediate additions to facilities, but on the other hand, government finances are not yet possible, so hospital leaders are always faced with complicated problems.