This hospital was founded in 1926 as a Roman Catholic Mission hospital at Palembang (Province of Sumatera Selatan).
Nowadays it is classified as a category B hospital (registration number 1671050) with 313 beds. The hospital employs a staff of 1,534 persons, of whom 182 medical doctors, 527 nurses, 76 midwives, 92 pharmacy personnel, 13 physiotherapists and 50 laboratory personnel.
It is situated on Jalan Jendral Sudirman no. 1054 at Palembang.
Coordinates: Latitude: -2,97 and Longitude: 104,75.
The website of the hospital is http://www.charitashospital.com
From this website we copied a few statements on the history of the hospital (Google translated and abbreviated):
As in every mission area, health efforts are a concern as well as in the mission area of Southern Sumatra, health efforts are one of the efforts to help the community. In connection with this, the leader of the Sacred Heart Pastor, who since 1926 has served in the Southern Sumatra region, asked the leaders of the Charitas Sisters Congregation in Roosendaal, the Netherlands, to help in the mission environment in this area. The request received a good response so that in a short time they were ready to send their Sisters to the mission area of South Sumatra.
Right on July 9th 1926, five Sisters from the Congregation Charitas Roosendaal arrived in Palembang. They are: 1. Sister Raymunda Hermans, 2. Sister Willhelmina Blesgraaf, 3. Sister Caecilia Luyten, 4. Sr Alacoque van der Linden, 5. Sister Chatarina Koning. So with the spirit of the ideals of the founders of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Francis Charitas "namely in joy, simplicity and especially in love to help others, while praying and sacrificing themselves, it shows the joy of life among the sick and the needy" the five sisters started their work in Indonesia precisely in the mission area of the city of Palembang, having its address at Jalan Jenderal Sudirman next to St. Church. Yoseph (Frateran, Mother of the Sacred Heart) at this time. General Sudirman / frateran now. This hospital is very simple to accommodate 14-16 sufferers, who at that time were mostly people who did not understand about hospitalization in the hospital, so the number of beds that were only a few were often empty. To expand their ministry they made home visits. So, every day two sisters go in and out of the alleys around the city of Palembang. Geographically, Palembang is a city of water, with lots of swamps, so that at that time there were many alleys that were still connected with just a stick of bamboo. Nevertheless, the Sisters continue to carry out their duties diligently and energetically for the benefit of the community and the church. The work of the Charitas Sisters in Palembang is growing and there are ten more Sisters from the Charitas Congregation in Roosendaal Holland, so it is felt that a new hospital is needed. By the leadership of Sister Charitas, a plot of land was chosen which was located at an altitude at that time far from the city crowd and quite strategic, this place is indeed a small mountain in the corner of Palembang, which is the location of the current hospital. In 1937, the groundbreaking began, then on January 18, 1938, the inauguration of the opening of the hospital by Mgr. Meckelhot SCJ under the name RK hospital. Charitas. Meanwhile, the old building opposite the hospital was handed over to the Brothers of O.V.L. van Utrecht. The hospital that was founded by the Charitas Sisters is the first hospital in Palembang, has 59 beds. Apart from that, the hospital visits and delivery services are still carried out by the hospital nurses who ride on bicycles. During the Japanese occupation the hospital was taken and made the headquarters of the Japanese army. The nuns and priests were interned / detained in various places. At the time of independence, the Charitas hospital was returned to the Congregation of Charitas Sisters and continued to be renovated until it became the hospital it is today.