The mission hospital at Pakantan was established by the Rheinische Mission at Barmen in 1903. Initially the mission got assigned the town of Moeara Sipongi, later on this was changed into Pakantan. Both towns are situated in Tapanuli.
See Koloniaal Verslag 1904, p. 206-207: With Government Decree of 10 January 1903 no. 28 it has been agreed to accord a subsidy of f 1,000 to the RheinischeMission for building a hospital for indigenous patients in the Residency Tapanoeli (See also KV 1902, 207-208).
See also Koloniaal Verslag 1930, Annex O-XI: Subsidy personnel f 480 and subsidy other expenditure f 898.75.