The company hospital Timbang Langkat was founded by the Deli Batavia Company before 1905. The picture was taken in 1905 (KITLV Imagebank 93300). E. van de Velde, physician of the Deli-Batavia Company published some articles in the Review Het ziekenhuis, nrs. 9, 10and 11 (1918) about the hospitals on The Eastcoast of Sumatra. Timbang Langkat was one of 33 central hospitals on the Eastcoast. Dr. John Campbell Graham was surgeon of the Deli-Batavia Company Timbang Langkat.
Langkat was the selfgoverning Landschap of that name, situated in the Government eastcoast Sumatra. The department was divided into two subdepartments: Lower Langkat and Upper Langkat or Timbang Langkat. The department had about 256,000 inhabitants of whom 1,400 Europeans and 30,600 Chinese. The assistant Resident and the sultan of Langkat resided in the main town Tandjoengpoera, situated on the railway Medan-Rantauprapat.