The auxiliary mission hospital at Singkawang was founded by the Capuchin Friars (OFM Cap.). Later on it was serviced by the Roman Catholic congregation Franciscan Sisters of Veghel (SFIC). The date of foundation was 1910. The first subsidy for initial investments is reported for 1917
( f 7586 for buildings and f 1,000 for equipment) and for the auxiliary mission hospital that was then a small category I hospital (10-25 beds).
See Dutch Missionary Activities, an oral history project of the Nijmegen University concerning religious nuns and monks who workedin one of the mission fields of the Roman Catholic Church. Interview 89 (KMM file nr. 370) is with J.P.M. van Mil (Sister Philomena), who worked from 1933 to 1973 in Kalimantan as a nurse, among others in the hospital of Singkawang and Interview 90 (KMM file 492) with C.W. Slits (Sister Alena) who worked from 1924-1968 in Kalimantan, also in the hospital of Singkawang.
See Koloniaal Verslag 1930,Annex O-XI: . Subsidy personnel f 6580; further expenditure f 8,360. The hospital is then Category II: 25-75 beds.
Singkawang is a department with capital (same name) of the Residency Westerafdeeling van Borneo. The department has 250,000 inhabitants, of whom 300 Europeans and 67,000 Chinese. The population is mainly Dayak and Maleysian.The department exists of the selfruling Landscapes of Sambas and Mampawah. The capital Singkawang is situated at the sea-shore and is connected by motorways with the interior and with other coast setllements (Gonggryp 1934, 1299-1300).
Nowadays (2018), the name of the hospital is Rumah Sakit Santo Vincentius. The hospital is situated on the Jalan Diponegoro no. 5 at Singkawang (Kalimantan Barat).
Coordinates : Latitude: 0,91 and Longitude: 108,99.
The hospital is classified as a category C hospital (reg.no. 6172113) with 110 beds.
The hospital employs 356 employees, of whom 33 medical doctors, 144 nurses, 23 midwives, 10 pharmacy assistants, 25 members of housekeeping and technical services and 121 people with functions in administration and management.
The website of the hospital is: www. rssantovincentius.com.
From this website we copied some historical notions (Google translated and abbreviated):
The Santo Vincentius Hospital, belonging to the Pontianak Archdiocese, was established on 6 September 1910 blessed under the patronage of Saint Vincentius a Paulo, and is the first hospital to operate 24 hours in Singkawang. Was appointed as Director was P. Beatus, and 3 years later, in 1913, a nurse with the first nursing certificate came, namely Sr. Gayatana.