The mission hospital Tjisaroea was founded by the Methodist Episcopal Missionary Association about 1918. According to Annex Q-11 of the Koloniaal Verslag 1919 the hospital received in 1919 a foundations subsidy of f 23,248 and a subsidiy for European personnel of f 5,100. Additional subsidies of f 7,000 were given for indigenous personnel and maintenance. The hospital was categorized as a class II (26-75 beds).
Cisarua (Tjisaroea) was situated north of Bandung and was a township and subdistrict of the Regency and Residency of Bogor (Buitenzorg) (Gonggryp1934, 536).