R.K. Ziekeninrichting Marienheuvel was established in the 1920s in Tomohon (Minahasa) and opened its doors as hospital in 1930.
It was serviced by the congregation JMJ (Jezus, Maria, Jozef), which had established health service in the region since 1900.
At first it was an auxiliary hospital (without medical doctors) first class (10-25 beds). The first years a totaal of 214 patients attended its services.
In the daily pharmacy more than 54,000 patients received care.
In 1917 subsidy was given by the government: Subsidy for initial building ƒ 2,700 and for equipment:ƒ 1,000.
Because of the lack of medicines during WWI the amount of care was reduced during 1918 and 1919. The polikliniek (pharmacy) patients diminished to 23,101
in 1917 and 14,556 in 1918 and 16,524 in 1919.
The annual report 1940 emphasizes the shortage of managing nurses (Dutch nurses) and the work was entrusted to mantri nurses who had had a training in the hospital. In the beginning of 1940 an auxiliary hospital for poor patients (‘on- en minvermogenden’) had been established at Lembean with 48 beds.
Once a week this hospital was attended by a medical doctor. The average number of patients was in Tomohon: 103 and in Lembean: 25.
Nowadays (2018) the hospital at Tomohon still exists and is situated on the Jalan Sejahtera no. 282 at Tomohon (coordinates: latitude: 1,32 and longitude: 124,83.
The website of the hospital is: www. rsgunungmaria.com.
From this website we copied a text about the history of the hospital (Google translated and abbreviated):
“April 30, 1897, Mgr. Walterus Staal, SJ (Vicar Apostolic Batavia) asked the leaders of the JMJ Societas in the Netherlands so that the JMJ Societas work in the land of Minahasa, especially to educate and uplift the lives of young women. The offer to work in this mission land was passed on to the members and most of the Sisters were very enthusiastic about responding. Sr. Seraphine Pullens, JMJ selected 6 Sisters from 215 applicants. The six pioneer Sisters were Sr. Boniface Meyer JMJ, Sr. Basilissa Heister JMJ, Sr. Wenceslas TePoel JMJ, Sr. Dosithea Schambergen JMJ, Sr. Josephine Van Den Berg JMJ and Sr. Laetitia Loonen JMJ. May 5, 1898, sailed to Indonesia, the six Sisters from the Netherlands and arrived at Manado Harbor on July 17, 1898 to be greeted by Pastor Onel SJ (Manado Parish Priest). July 18, 1898, during a 9 hour journey from Manado to Tomohon by using a cow wheel which is a traditional vehicle for the Minahasa people, the six Sisters arrived in Tomohon. Tomohon is the first mission area for JMJ Societas to work outside Europe and schools for girls are the first work of JMJ Societas in Minahasa soil. In October 1901 Societas JMJ bought the yard and mansion of Major Wenas in Kelurahan Kolongan (now) and made it as Walterus Monastery. His early medical work was in the form of a simple and emergency polyclinic in a building behind the North Tomohon Catholic rectory (now Pastor of the Sacred Heart Parish of Jesus). The community named the polyclinic the Round Hospital and in 1913 this polyclinic was expanded. April 12, 1921, Societas JMJ purchased a plot of land behind the Walterus monastery, in a hilly area for the construction of a permanent hospital. Mid-June 1928 construction of the hospital began. The work of leveling the land was entrusted to Mr. Aloysius Kaunang and the superintendent of the construction work was Sr. Laetitia Loonen JMJ. The hospital building plan was drawn by Mr. De Voets. The groundbreaking took place in May 1929 and the building was completed the following year. Installation of electricity on 10 February 1930. The total cost of building the hospital was 250,000 guilders. The dedication of the main part of the hospital building was carried out on the night of February 10, 1930 by Mgr. Panis (Sulawesi Apostolic Prefect) and attended by Manado Resident (Mr. Schmidt), civil service, mayor of Manado, 7 doctors and leaders in the world of commerce. February 11, 1930 another part of the hospital was blessed by Mgr. Panic.