The hospital of the agricultural establishment of Soekaradja should have existed since 1788. Two buildings had been established: one for the so-called “bannelingen” and one for the manager (“opzichter’). In 1767 the region had been occupied by the VOC and 21 years later the place had been designated for “bannelingen”. The choice of the place was called effective, because it was situated 2 “paalen” from the main town Banjoewangie and on a piece of land that was about 300 feet above sea-surface. The condemned were separated form the civil population and lived in a healthy environment with an abundance of water and fertile land.