The Koninklijke Nederlandsche Maatschappij tot exploitatie van oliebronnen in NI established separate hospitals for her European and for her indigenous workers in 1906 at Samarinda (SE Borneo). The hospitals were managed by an European physician. Source: Grote Atlas van NOI,p.369: Samarinda was also capital of the selfgoverning Landschap (Sultanate) Koetai, but the Sultan’s residency was at Tenggarong.
Samarinda was a department with a capital of the same name of the Residency South and East Borneo. The town of Samarinda is situated on the Soengai Mahakam or river Koetai. It had about 11,000 inhabitants (Gonggryp 1934, 1263).