Aux. hospital Bojonegoro

The aux. hospital at Bojonegoro was founded by the Salatiga Mission in 1906. The Salatiga Mission was founded by Mrs. Elise J. de Wildt (1824-1906). The missionary congregation of Ermelo sponsored the missionwork until 1884. From then the mission work was taken over by the German Mission of Neukirchen. Shortly before WW II the Salatiga Mission managed 5 hospitals, at Purwodadi, Blora, Bojonegoro, Moga near Pemalang and Ungaran.

The Koloniaal Verslag 1906 mentions the initiative of the Protestant Mission to open an auxiliary hospital at Bodjonegoro (Rembang).In 1930 the GBZ at Bodjonegoro is closed in the context of decentralization of Government Civil Hospitals. The GBZ at Bodjonegoro is then taken over by the protestant Mission.

For a town plan of Bodjonegoro, including the place of the hospital, see Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003) p.309.

For the exact location of the town of Bodjonegoro consult General Hospitals 1940-Google maps.

Bodjonegoro was a Residency, Regency and District with a capital of the same name. The residency has nearly 2 million inhabitants of whom 800 Europeans and 14,000 Chinese. The city was situated on the river Solo and had tram and train connections with the main towns of the Regencies Gresik, Lamongan, Tuban. Principal crops: Rice and tobacco for indigenous use.