The auxiliary mission hospital of Leksula was established on the island of Buru in the Moluccas. The picture was part of the collection of the Tropenmuseum (TMnr 10000613.jpg). This hospital was situated at Leksula, a port town of the island Buru (South Buru). The picture shows some people in front of the outpatient clinic, in which so-called ‘kettinggangers’ (convicts) and other punished people had been admitted.
Boeroe was an island and subdepartment of the department Amboina, Residency Moluccas. The capital was Namlea. The island is about 1/3 of the surface of The Netherlands. The original inhabitants are closely related to the inhabitants of West-Ceram. At Kajeli, the former capital, the East India Company (VOC) built the fortification Defensie that still exists. The authority that rules this subdepartment, also rules the island Ambelan with surrounding smaller islands. (Gonggryp 1934, 158).