The Mission Hospital at Bagan Si Api-Api was founded in 1928 by the Roman Catholic congregation Zusters van Schijndel (Sisters of Schijndel). See Jan Willemsen, Van tentoonstelling tot wereldorganisatie, 94.
Bagan Api-Api was a subdepartment of the Department Bengkalis of the Government Eastcoast of Sumatera. It was an important township of Chinese who found their living mainly by fishing (Gonggryp 1934, 49-50).
See Nieuws van den dag voor Nederlandsch Indie of 6 January 1938;