This general mission hospital was founded in 1903 by the so-called Java-comite to care for poor indigenous patients in Bondowoso and neighbourhood. The Java-comite was founded in 1855 and became an independant missionary association in 1888. At first in the Batak country, from 1880 the JC took initiatives in East Java. In the 1920s the Comite cooperated with the Nederlandse Zendings Vereniging.
The Koloniaal Verslag 1907 mentions the existence of this hospital for the first time.
Bondowoso was the main town of the Residency of Besuki in the province of East Jawa (Gonggryp 1934, 159).