KITLV collection imagecode 12707
The mission hospital Charitas at Palembang was founded by the Roman Catholic congregation Sisters of Charity of Tilburg (SCMM). The hospital was established on the Talang Djawa in 1926. (See Grote Atlas van NOI, p. 174). The last known address is Jalan Jendral Sudiman n. 1054 and the recent name is Rumah Sakit RK Charitas.
See J. Willemsen, Van tentoonstelling tot wereldorganisatie, p.94.
See: Dutch Missionary activities for documents of oral history on the Sisters of Charity of Tilburg, p. 171.
Palembang was a Residency with 3 departments: the Palembang Lower countries; the Palembang Higher countries and Ogan-and Komering Hoeloe. (Hoeloe means the upper stream of a river and Hilir means the lower stream. Moeara means the estuary of the river. The Residency has a surface 2.5 x the surface of The Netherlands. The capital Palembang is part of the Palembanag Lower countries and is not situated on the seaside, but 83 km inland, at both sides of the Moesi river. The city had a municipality council and a mayor. The capital has 109,000 inhabitants, almost 1,900 Europeans and 15,800 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934, 1116).