The mission hospital Maria Magdalena was a general hospital that was founded by the Sisters of Christian Schools (Sisters of Julie Postel) at Boxmeer. The hospital was established in 1929 at Malang (East Java). See Jan Willemsen, Van tentoonstelling tot wereldorganisatie, 94. Dutch Missionary Activities, KMM 27 is an oral document of sister Veronica (J.M. ten Beitel), who worked from 1935 in the diocese Malang. Before WWII the hospital was in essence an European hospital, the outpatient clinics in the countryside served the indigenous population. The latter kind of work was more in accordance with her missionary inspiration. She was innterned in camps at Solo, Muntilan and Banyubiru. The change from European health care to indigenous health care she experienced as rather smooth. She returned to The Netherlands in 1973. Another oral history is the one of sister Anastasia (J.G. Hulsmeijer) who worked from 1930 to 1967 in the diocese Malang (KMM 247). She worked in Malang, but did not think the work in accordance with missionary ideals: the patients were mainly European ladies. The hospital was kind of primitive compared to Dutch hospital accomodations. She also worked in outpatient clinics in the countryside, which were closely linked to plantations. The patients were plantation workers and their families. After the war she was director of the hospital at Malang for some time. In 1967 she returned to the Netherlands.
Malang was a Residency and at the same time a Regency, District and subdistrict with a capital with the same name. The Residency had 1.8 million inhabitants. The capital Malang is a municipality with a council and a mayor. The city had 87,000 inhabitants,of whom 7,500 Europeaans and 8,500 Chinese. The Residency is very fertile and mountainous. Products: Sugar (there are 4 sugar mills), coffee, rubber (Gonggryp 1934, 795).
Grote Atlas van Nederlandsch Oost Indie, p. 326 shows the location of the hospital Saint Maria Magdalena (I4.2)