Mission hospital Sintang

The mission hospital at Sintang (West Kalimantan) was a general hospital that was founded in 1936 by a Roman Catholic congregation, the Franciscan Sisters of Saint Antonius at Asten.

See Jan Willemsen, Van tentoonstelling naar wereldorganisatie, 94.

See also Dutch Missionary Activities, an oral history project of the University of Nijmegen concerning the activities of religious nuns and monks, p. 133-135. Interview no. 120. KMM file nr. 531 with G.M. Thorborg (Sister Xaveria). Sister Xaveria worked from 1931 to 1968 in the Diocese of Sintang,in the hospital of Sintan. Interview no. 121 (KMM file 548) with L.F. van de Ven (Sister Willemine). Sister Willemine worked from 1946 tot 1975 as a nurse and midwife in the diocese of Sintang. She describes the hospital, pharmacy and  laaboratory and most common diseases. She assisted at thousands of deliveries in varying circumstances and baptized sometimes children. She witnessed many forms of birth control (also indigenous). She made many duty trips and trained herself in performing small operations.

Sintang is a department and subdepartment and selfruling Landscape of the Residency Westerafdeeling van Borneo. The department Sintang is administrated by an assistant-resident and has 185,000 inhabitants of whom 46 Europeans and 5,500 Chinese.The indigenous inhabitants are mainly Dayaks and also Malayans. The effective Dutch administration  from 1816 witnessed until 1915 continuing revolts, especially in the subdepartment Melawi. In 1913 the controller M.A. Jansen was murdered (Gonggryp 1934, 1300-1301).