The mission hospital at Sukun was founded at Malang in 1928. The initiating missionary society was The Nederlandsch Zendelinggenootschap (Rotterdam 1797). In the annual report of 1930 is mentioned a number of 3,577 admitted patients. The year started with 209 inpatients and ended with the same number. The number of nursing days was 75,957, corresponding with an average number of inpatients of 208. The hospital capacity was 235 beds, of which 38 for children. The new operating theatre was built and the building of 2 new wards was started. The nursing staff was:3European nurses, 2 midwives and 7 mantri-nurses,of whom 2 female nurses. The outpatient clinic was visited by 9,326 new patients (22,028 consults),i.e. 73 visitors per day, school children not counted. The number of vistors declined slightly, supposedly by founding outer outpatient clinics in the Regency. From the report on 1931: 3,831 admittances with 80,492 nursing days (31,626 from Malang, 38,126 from the Regency and 10,740 from other parts of the province of East Java.
Regeeringsalmanak 1929 Kalender en Personalia, 499: Dr. A. Nortier (missionary doctor) and the nurses C. Rolff and E. Hulzebos.
Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde 82 (1938) III, 33: At the occasion of its 10th anniversary, the mission hospital Soekoen at Malang reported about these 10 years and about the year 1937. The average number of outpatients rose from an initial 36 in 1928 to 523 in 1937, while the average number of inpatients rose from 99 in 1928 to 525 in 1937. As a consequence of economic circumstances the usual subsidy for initial investments was limited to financing an operating room (f 8,175). By emitting a bond loan the finances were obtained to build the present hospital. The auxiliary hospital Swaroe was medically supervised by Soekoen. Various outpatient clinics had been taken over and new ones had been opened, district nursing had been provided for.With the support of Simavi, a children ward, a surgical women department and a department for prijaji women could be opened in 1934. In 1934 the GBZ of Malang was taken over. Its patients were moved to Soekoen. In March 1937 a nursing training was started. In this year 9,046 patients were admitted (7,475 indigenous patients,858 Chinese and 713 Europeans. 970 major and 1,339 minor surgical operations took place. 790 confinements, of which 556 by assistance of the district nurses. The number of typhoid cases went down in this year for the first time,diphteria and dysenteria went up. In the auxiliary hospital Swaroe 670 patients were admitted. There were 13 outpatient clinics operational and district nursing. The medical superintendant in 1937 was J.P. de Jong.
Subsidy was provided from 1929: (Annex O Koloniaal Verslag 1929: for personnel; f 18,000 and for other expenditure f 23,253, based on the normal subsidy regulations for private hospitals as put down in Staatsblad 1906 no. 276. From 1936-1940 the medical doctor F. Veldstra was medical doctor and medical supervisor of this hospital.
Malang was a Residency and at the same time a Regency, District and subdistrict with a capital with the same name. The Residency had 1.8 million inhabitants. The capital Malang is a municipality with a council and a mayor. The city had 87,000 inhabitants,of whom 7,500 Europeaans and 8,500 Chinese. The Residency is very fertile and mountainous. Products: Sugar (there are 4 sugar mills), coffee, rubber (Gonggryp 1934, 795).
Grote Atlas van Nederlandsch Oost Indie, p. 326 shows the location of the hospital Soekoen.