Mission Leprosy Lagu Boti

leprosy-lagu-boti

The same hospital is mentioned before under the name Huta Salem. It is a Leprosy asylum, established in 1902 by the Rheinische Mission at Barmen. The asylum is situated south of the Toba Lake near the townships of Lagu Boti and Huta Salem in the lands of the Bataks on the Westcoast of Sumatra. The picture is from the KITLV collection no.101169. Hoeta means indigenous village community in the Batak country.

By Gouvernements Besluit (Government Decree) of 19 Aug. 1913 subsidy was accorded of f 5,000 to the Leproserie of the Rheinische Missiongesellschaft te Hoetasalem bij Lagoeboti aan het Toba-meer.

From: C.W. Janssen, De Bataks als exploitanten van hun eigen gebied (The Batak people, developing their own territory) Koloniaal Tijdschrift 12,4  (1924): Leper institution founded by W.Steinsiek (Rheinische Mission) and opened 5 september 1900.

Journal Governor-General Tjarda van Starkenborgh Stachouwer March: During his visit of Sumatra in March 1940 he mentions the missionary doctors Dannert and Gross and the manager Rittich. Residency doctor Maasland.