The central hospital of the tobacco company Padang Boelan was established about 1890, some 6 km southwest of Medan by the NV Deli-Batavia Maatschappij. The founding date may be verified by a photo of the hospital dated 1891 in the collection of the KITLV, imagecode 103504 with the title: Ziekenhuis voor plantagearbeiders op onderneming Padang Boelan van de Amsterdam Deli Compagnie te Medan. The ownership of the hospital is corrected by the Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie. The atlas states that the Padang Boelan estate was owned by the NV Deli-Batavia Maatschappij, which company owned together with Kalahoen Penang & Sembahe an area of 4453 ha, 6 km sw of Medan (p. 87). E. van de Velde, a physician of the Deli-Batavia Maatsschappij, mentions this central hospital under number 14 in the legend with his article in the review Het Ziekenhuis (1918). B.M. van Driel mentions it in his article about mortality rates among estate-labourers (Mededeelingen van het Pathologisch Laboratorium no. 9, 1930): Table 1a reports on 9,836 indentured labourers of the estate Padang Boelan that 70 died, in 1929, a mortality rate of 7.12 ‰. The Grote Atlas mentions the closure of the estate in 1939/1940.