The garrison hospital 3rd class at Amuntai was a general military hospital that was part of the Military Medical Service. It was mentioned in a survey of the year 1876 by Schoute,”De geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie, gedurende de negentiende eeuw” (GTNI 75 (1935) 827) as a hospital with on average 48 occupied beds in that year. Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 mentions for the year of 1890 a total of 192 admitted patients and on average 8 occupied beds. In the meantime the Garrison hospital had been converted into an infirmary. The Military Medical Service (MGD) managed in 1867 a total of health facilities that had 4,244 inpatients.
Amoentai was a subdepartment with a capital of the same name of the department Hoeloesoengai of the Residency Zuider- en Oosterafdeeling van Borneo with a controller Binnenlands Bestuur (Interior Administration). The subdepartment had 160,000 inhabitants, of whom 25 Europeans and 130 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934, 27).