The garrison hospital second class at Ngawi (Madiun) is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrison hospital of Ngawi had on average 59 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Ngawi hospital is then 227 inpatients, whereas 439 have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 20 European patients and 17 indigenous patients.
In 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1899: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1899: 3,731. These figures were for the Ngawi hospital: 308 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1899 of 14 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
In the survey of the Civil Medical Service on the year 1909 the military hospital at Ngawi is mentioned: 575 patients had been admitted that year. As the officer of health, dr. Wijn, was interested in eye diseases, during that year 508 eye operations took place and 22 other operations. Most operated patients did not stay but were treated as outpatients.
Ngawi is in the 1930s a regency, district and subdistrict of the Residency Madioen in the province of East Java. The regency has 390,000 inhabitants of whom 600 Europeans and 1,500 Chinese. The capital town is situated where the rivers Madiun and Solo join each other. Private industry: coffee and wood products(Gonggryp 11934, 946-947).