The garrison hospital 2nd class is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrison hospital of Padang Panjang had on average 67 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Padang Panjang hospital is then 68 inpatients, whereas 1,110 have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 67 European patients and 34 indigenous patients.
In 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1899: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1899: 3,731. These figures were for the Padang Panjang hospital: 572 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1899 of 56 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
In 1927 the Padang Panjang hospital was converted into an infirmary 1st class (Koloniaal Verslag 1927, 49).
See Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie, p.148 , showing a map of the town of Padang Panjang and the location of the military hospital/infirmary in 1931.
Padang Panjang was in the 1930s the capital of the department Tanahdatar. The town had 9,600 inhabitantss, of whom 300 Europeans and 900 Chinese. The town is situated at the end of the famous Anai chasm on 773 meter altitude. The place is connected by autoroutes with other important towns. It is an important marketplace. In 1926 a heavy earthquake took place and demolished the town. The climate is wet and rough. In 1841 an insurrection took place, which was ended by exploding the fort Goegoeh Malintang. To commemorate this event a monument was erected. In 1915 again serious riots took place (Gonggryp 1934, 1095).