The garrison hospital 2nd class at Pontianak (West Kalimanatan) is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrison hospital of Pontianak had on average 78 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Pontinak hospital is then 20 inpatients, whereas 255 have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 15 patients.
In 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1899: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1899: 3,731. These figures were for the Pontianak hospital: 354 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1899 of 22 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1899, Appendix A).
Pontianak was in the 1930s a selfgoverning Landscape with a capital of the same name. It was a department and subdepartment of the Residency Westerafdeeling van Borneo (West Kalimantan). The subdepartment Pontianak comprises the selfgoverning landscapes Pontianak and Koeboe and is administratively managed by a Controleur BB. The landscape’s and also the Residency’s largest river is the Soengai Kapoeas. The Sultanate Pontianak was founded in 1772 by Pangeran Sjarif Abdoe’r Rahman, the son of an Arab.The first contacts with the VOC date from 1778, they were interrupted during French and British Rule. After 1816 new contracts were made upwith successive sultans. The capital pontianak is directly ruled (the name is derived from the great many poentianaks (children’s phantoms) that were present. The town is an important commercial place with 45,000 inhabitants, of whom 538 Europeans and 15,000 Chinese(Gonggryp 1934, 1185-1186).