The military garrison hospital 3rd class at Serang (Bantam) is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrison hospital of Serang had on average 25 patients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Serang hospital is then 9 patients, whereas 267 have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 9 patients.
About 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1899: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1899: 3,731. These figures were for the Serang hospital: 62 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1898 of 11 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Serang was in the 1930s the principal town of the Residency Bantam, province of West Java. The town had 11,000 inhabitants, of whom 260 Europeans and 1,600 Chinese (Gongrgyp 1934, 1289). See also Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie, pag. 230 with a town plan in 1945 with the location of military barracks and military hospital (nr. 18 of the legend).