The garrison hospital 3rd class at Tebing Tinggi (South Sumatra) was mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrison hospital of Tebing Tinggi had on average 30 patients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The garrison hospital had been converted into an infirmary in the meantime with an average occupation rate of 7 patients, whereas 157 had been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 9 patients.
About 1900, the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1898: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1898: 3,731. These figures were for the infirmary at Tebing Tinggi: 157 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1898 of 9 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Tebingtinggi was in the 1930s a subdivision of the division Palembang Upperlands of the Residency Palembang. The subdivision had 60,000 inhabitants, of whom77 Europeans and 370 Chinese. The population caused many uprisings, reason why already in 1839 a military establishment was deemed to be necessary. In 1907 this military presence was stopped (Gonggryp 1934, 1395-1396).