The Garrison hospital 2nd class at Yogyakarta (Central Java) is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 826. The article referred to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the garrisonhospital of Yogyakarta had on average 59 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD) which in that same year all over the archipelago treated an average of 4,244 inpatients. Some 25 year later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,359 inpatients for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The average occupation rate of the Yogyakarta hospital is then 188 European patients and 179 indigenous patients, whereas 762 have been admitted that year. The situation at 31 December 1890 is that 72 inpatients are present.
The Koloniaal Verslag 1919 mentions the realization of an establishment for victims of the Plague at the Garrison hospital of Yogyakarta.
The directing Health Officer 2nd class, W. van der Veer reports about the MGD in the period 1911-1934 and mentions the transformation of a number of military hospitals into ziekenzalen (Infirmaries). Among others this happens to the garrison hospital at Yogyakarta in 1932. See: Geneeskundig Tijdschrift voor Nederlandsch-Indie (GTNI) 76 (1936), 202-234.
Jogjakarta was in the 1930s a Government, a Residency, a Regency and a District, all with a capital city of the same name. The government had a surface of 3,100 square km and encompassed the Sultanate and the area of the Prince Pakoe Alam. Together they form with the Solo lands the autonomous Princedoms (Vorstenlanden). Administratively, the Western part of the old city belongs to the Sultan and the Eastern part to the independant Prince Pakoe Alam. The kraton, the old city of the Sultan with separate quarters for his noble and non-noble citizens, has a rectangular shape of 1,100 meter x 750 meter and is surrounded by 4 meter high walls. Inside the kraton the palace of the Sultan, the kedaton, is situated and also the Watercastle a former pleasure garden, dating from 1758. The city Yogyakarta has 150,000 inhabitants,of whom 6,000 Europeans and 10,000 Chinese (Gonggryp 1934, 602-603).