The military facility at Atapupu (West Timor) was a 4th class infirmary that was mentioned by D. Schoute in his survey of 1867 of the then existing military health facilities. In his publication “De geneeskunde in Nederlandsch Indie gedurende de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 828, he mentions the facility at Atapoepoe with on average 3 occupied beds. In a survey of 1890, derived from the Koloniaal Verslag 1891, Annex D, this facility is not mentioned, most probably meaning that in the meantime it had been closed.
Atapoepoe was the port town of Atamboea, the principal town of Beloe, a subdepartment of the department Timor and Islands of the Residency Timor (Gonggryp 1934, 126). About 1940 there were a civil and a military hospital at Atamboea (Grote Atlas van NOI, 309).