The 3rd class infirmary of Bangkalan (Madoera) was mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 826. In this article a survey was presented of all military health facilities existing in the year 1867. The infirmary of Bangkalan had in that year on average 8 occupied hospital beds. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (GMD), that in that year cared for 4,244 inpatients on average for the whole archipelago. About 25 years later, the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 sums up in Appendix D all military facilities and their occupational rates, but does not mention the Bangkalan infirmary. Most probably this means that the facility has been closed in the meantime. In 1909 a civil hospital is existing at Bangkalan. Maybe it took care for military patients as well.
Bangkalan was in the 1930s a Regency and District with the principal town of the same name, part of the Residency of Madura, which was situated on the island of Madura and was part of the Government of East Java. The town was in earlier times the seat of the Sultan of Madura (Gonggryp 1934, 93).