The infirmary 1st class at Bogor, former spelling Buitenzorg, is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the infirmary at Buitenzorg had on average 19 inpatients. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD) which in that same year all over the archipelago treated an average of 4,244 inpatients. Some 25 year later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,359 inpatients for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. In the meantime the infirmary has been upgraded to hospital. The average occupation rate of the Buitenzorg hospital is then 359 Europeans and 377 indigenous patients, whereas 474 patients have been admitted that year. On 31 December 1890, 34 European and 34 indigenous patients were present.
In the Koloniaal Verslag 1920 (p. 137) it is mentioned that at the Buitenzorg military hospital a new separate department has been built to care for Plague victims.
The directing Health Officer 2nd class, W. van der Veer reports about the MGD in the period 1911-1934 and mentions the transformation of a number of military hospitals into ziekenzalen (Infirmaries), among others this happens to the Buitenzorg hospital in 1932. See: Geneeskundig Tijdschrift voor Nederlandsch-Indie (GTNI) 76 (1936), 224.
Buitenzorg is in the 1930s a Residency, District and subdistrict with a principal town of the same name. The population uses the name of Bogor. It belongs to the province of West Java and has 2,200,000 inhabitants, of whom 11,000 Europeans and 37,000 Chinese. The town itself has 65,000 inhabitants, of whom 5,000 Europeans and 8,000 Chinese. Buitenzorg is the residency of the Governor-General. It is well-known by its famous “Plantentuin”. It has a municipal council and a mayor (Gonggryp 1934, 194).