The military infirmary 4th class at Gunung Sitoli (Tapanuli) was mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication: “De Geneeskundige Dienst in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The infirmary , which had in 1867 on average 4 inpatients, was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The infirmary at Gunung Sitoli admitted in that year 165 patients and had at the end of the year 2 Europeans and 4 indigenous patients.
About 1900, the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1898: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1898: 3,731. These figures were for the Gunung Sitoli infirmary: 22 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1898 of 3 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
In the annual report 1909 of the Medical Service a number of 340 patients is mentioned for the infirmary at Gunung Sitoli.
Goenoeng Sitoli was in the 1930s the principal town of the island Nias, department Nias, situated in the Residency Tapanuli on the northwest coast of Sumatra.