The military infirmary 2nd class at Klaten (Surakarta) is mentioned by D. Schoute in his publication: “De Geneeskundige Dienst in Nederlandsch Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 826. The infirmary was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds. In that same year the infirmary at Klaten had an average occupancy of 12 beds. The Koloniaal Verslag 1870 mentions the establishment of a private hospital (10-12 patients) at Klatten (Soerakarta) by the local officer of health. This facility is also available for poor people who need immediate care. Some 25 years later the Koloniaal Verslag 1891 published with Addendum D, the figures for the year 1890. The infirmary at Klaten admitted in that year 206 patients (201 Europeans and 5 indigenous patients) and had at the end of the year 8 Europeans and no indigenous patients.
Klaten is a Residency, regency and district of the Government Soerakarta, part of the Principalities in Central Java. It is a fertile region with sugar, coffee, tobacco and rubber cultures (Gonggryp 1934, 655 and 1320). From: Grote Atlas van NOI, p. 197: Klaten, halfway between Jogjakarta and Solo, was one of several towns on the main road from Semarang where the VOC built new forts and stationed garrisons after the division of Mataram in 1755. In 1913, the town gained some importance from the establishment of the Principa-lities’ experimental gardens for the cultivation of tobacco,which in time proved a valuable enhancement for further extension of this crop in Central Java.