The military infirmary at Lubuk Sikaping was established about 1890 to replace the infirmary of Rau, which was closed because of the unhealthy surroundings for its staff (See also the information of Rau). The infirmary is mentioned in the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890. It reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients had been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Loeboek Sikaping infirmary is then 5 patients, whereas 183 have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 6 patients.
In 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1899: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1899: 3,731. These figures were for the Loeboek Sikaping infirmary: 96 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1899 of 2 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Loeboek Sikaping was in the 1930s a subdepartment of the department Agam of the Residency Westcoast Sumatra. The principal town of the subdepartment wore the same name. The subdepartment had 52,000 inhabitants of whom 20 Europeans and 15 Chinese. The town Loeboek Sikaping was on the main road from Padang to Medan. On the same road were located Bondjol and Rau (well-known by the Padri war). The road passes through the impenetrable forest of Panti,which in the 1930s was made a nature preservate because of the fauna. In the northern part live the Madahilingers, who are mixed with the Minangkabau population group (Gonggryp1934, 764).