The second class military infirmary at Moeara Teweh (SE Kalimantan) is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the infirmary at Moeara Teweh had on average 15 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Moeara Teweh infirmary is then 94 inpatients, whereas 124 have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 7 patients.
In 1900 the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1899: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1899: 3,731. These figures were for the Moeara Teweh infirmary: 71 patients had been admitted and no patients were present on 31 December 1899 (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Moeara Teweh (Muara Teweh) was in the 1930s a subdepartment with a principal town of the same name, part of the Doesoenlands in the Residency of the Zuider- en Oosterafdeling van Borneo (SE Kalimantan). The subdepartment had almost 37,000 inhabitants, of whom 7 Europeans and 277 Chinese. The town is situated on the river Barito at the place where the river Tewe joins that river (Gonggryp 1934, 864).