Infirmery Muara Dua

The military 4th class infirmary at Moeara Doea (Zuid Sumatra) is mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of  all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the infirmery ar Moeara Doea had on average 4 inpatients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD),  which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds. Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total  of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The Moeara Doea infirmery is not mentioned any more, meaning that the Officer of health post had a vacancy or the infirmery was closed.

Moeara Doea (Muara Dua) is in the 1930s a subdepartment of the department Ogan and Komering-hoeloe of the Residency Palembang and is ruled by a controleur BB (Interior Administration). The principal town had the same name. The subdepartment had at that time 53,000 inhabitants, of whom 50 Europeans and 850 Chinese. The well-known Ranaudistricts (tobacco) and part of the Ranau lake are situated within the subdepartment. The culture of coffee is important. The town is situated upstream the Komering  river and is connected by autoroute with the capital of the department: Batoeradja, connected with the South Sumatran railway and with the other road of the Palembang Residency (Gonggryp 1934, 862-863).