Military Hospital 1st class Weltevreden
(KITLV 94320, 1926)
The origin of this hospital was an indigenous hospital for sick indigenous military patients that had been founded after a replacement of a large part of the military garrison, at first towards Meester-Cornelis, later on to Weltevreden (Batavia). It had been founded just before 1800 (1-1-1797) and it was decided to close it together with the facility at Meester Cornelis, but this never took place. Just the opposite happened: the Weltevreden hospital grew in importance aand even so more after the so-called Buitenhospitaal (Outer hospital) was closed in 1836.
The large military hospital 1st class at Weltevreden is also mentioned in the publication of D. Schoute “De Geneeskunde in Nederlandsch-Indie in de 19e eeuw”, GTNI 75 (1935) 10, 827. The article refers to a survey of all the military facilities in 1867 . In that year the hospital at Weltevreden had on average 743 patients. The hospital was part of the Military Medical Service (MGD), which in 1867 (the year of the survey of all military facilities) managed a total of 79 facilities (3 large military hospitals, 35 garrison hospitals and 41 infirmaries) with on average 4,244 occupied beds.
Some 25 years later, the Annex D of the Koloniaal Verslag 1890 reports a total of 3,358 inpatients by the end of that year, whereas 52,631 patients have been admitted for the whole of the Netherlands Indies. The report concerns 28 military hospitals, 54 ziekenzalen (infirmaries) and 6 specialized facilities. The average occupation rate of the Weltevreden hospital is then 336 patients, whereas 6,348 patients have been admitted that year. The situation by the end of the year 1890 is a presence of 320 patients.
About 1900, the situation of military health facilities was: 30 hospitals, 56 infirmaries and 5 specialized facilities, such as reconvalescent centers and leprosy asylums. The total number of admittances was in 1898: 57,071 and the number of present inpatients by the end of 1898: 3,731. These figures were for the Weltevreden hospital: 1,973 admittances and a presence on 31 December 1898 of 385 patients (See Koloniaal Verslag 1900, Addendum A).
Weltevreden was a mainly by Europeans inhabited part of the city of Batavia. In the 1900s it was situated 12 km southeast of the centre of Jakarta. The palace of the Governor General was founded there and many other important civil and military buildings. The Large Military Hospital, founded by Daendels could be found here.