In the 1930s a few auxiliary hospitals were established in the southern part of New-Guinea, among which this Hulpziekenhuis (auxiliary hospital) at Komolon (Southwestern part of New Guinea). The Mededeelingen of the DVG (Public Health Service) of 1939 (XXVIII) 2-3:p. 87-88: the 5 auxiliary hospitals at Muting, Poëpe, Okaba, Komolon and Kimaän admitted many patients suffering from venereal granuloma. Together with the four other auxiliary hospitals in the southern part of New Guinea many patients were treated who suffered of venereal granuloma. On the Frederik Hendrik island the figures were between 2 and 3 %. The author of the Mededeelingen expressed the opinion that the establishment of this auxiliary hospital might account for a diminishing incidence of the disease.
In the 1930s, this region belonged to the Residency of the Moluccas. The southeastern part to which the island Frederik Hendrik belonged, was part of the Division Amboina and was directly ruled. This part consists of the subdivisions : 1. South-New Guinea; 2. Upper-Digul. This subdivision stretches out from Cape Steenboom (Pulau Naurio) to the Bensbachriver. The region of South New Guinea had 16,354 inhabitants of whom 75 Europeans, 420 Chinese and 350 Papua. Its capital was Merauke (Gonggryp 1934, 1565).