Hospital at Malang in 1880
(KITLV imagecode 82323)
The Civiele Ziekengesticht (Civil hospital) at Malang was probably founded before 1880. Schoute mentions about 1877 the existence of a hospital for indigenous patients at Malang. The picture of KITLV dates from 1880. The Staatsblad van Nederlands Indie (NI Statute Book) of 25 April 1905 no. 258 mentions the change of personnel formation of the Inlandsch hospitaal at Malang for the situation of realizing an extension: appointment of an European supervisor at a monthly pay of ƒ 50, who is also in charge of the institution for syphilitic prostitutes. Two additional oppassers (attendants) are appointed at a monthly pay of ƒ 15. The NI Statutebook of 29 January 1914 no. 32 mentions an allowance for this hospital of ƒ 240 per year to hire coolies. The Annual Report of the Civil Medical Service of 1909 mentions about the civiele ziekeninrichting at Malang, that in that year 50 cases of smallpox were seen, 9 of whom died.
Malang is in the 1930s a Residency with a capital of the same name. It is at the same time a regency and a district of the province of East Java. The principal town of Malang has 87,000 inhabitants of whom 7,500 Europeans and 8,500 Chinese. The town is ruled by a municipal council and a mayor. The Residency is very fertile and is surrounded by mountains and vulcanos. Cultures are: coffee, rubber, cacao and sugar. There used to be 4 sugar factories. The town is situated 443 m above sea level and has an agreeable climate (Gonggryp 1934, 795).
See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps, for the location of town and hospital.
See also The Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003) p. 325-327 for a townplan of Malang and the situation of the hospitals.