The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Banjoewangi was established in 1913 ( Gouvernementsbesluit 4 juli 1913 no. 58). The next mentioning in the consulted documents was found in the Annex to the Indisch staatsblad of 30th August 1927, nr. 11446. According to this message,the hospital belonged to one of the smaller hospitals, only treating 4th class nursing (charge per day ƒ 1,50).
Banjoewangi (meaning nice smelling water) was a Regency with a capital of the same name in the Residency of Bondowoso in the province of East Java. The peninsula of Balambangan was part of the Regency. Banjoewangi used to be a separate Residency that took care of the interests of Bali and Lombok too. (Gonggryp 1934, 94).