The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Gombong was probably a continuation of the hospital for syphilitic patients in the same place, which was established in 1876 (Koloniaal Verslag 1877 (136-137). In 1911 all hospitals of this category were closed, but many continued as an Inlandsch (Indigenous) hospital.
The GBZ at Gombong was closed on 1 Oktober 1924 (Gouvernements Besluit of 13 May 1927 no. 32 (Javaansche Courant no. 39) as a consequence of the decentralization policy of the NI Government.
Gombong was situated in the Regency Karanganjar in the Residency of Banyumas in the province of Central Java. See The Grote Atlas van Nederlands oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003) p. 278 for a townplan of Gombong. This town had in the pre-war decennia no administrative importance, but was the location of one of the strongholds that were established after the Java-war (1825-1830), bordering the boundaries with the Vorstendommen (Principalities). This fort was named after the army commander F.D.Cochius (1787-1876). Fort General Cochius was never completed and may be noticed on the map as the circular structure, just north of the centre. Between 1856 and 1912 Fort Cochius served as the so-called Pupillenschool,a military preparatory school for sons of Europeans in the east Indies.