This Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) was established at Kendal in the 1920s. In 1927, the hospital was mentioned in the Bijblad van het Staatsblad van Nederlands-Indie (Supplement to the NI Statutebook) no. 11446 of 30 August 1927: “Vaststelling van de Regelen betreffende de bestemming van Gouvernments burgerlijke ziekeninrichtingen,de formatie van het personeel, zoomede de kosten van verpleging in die inrichtingen.“( Regulation of target groups, personnel and tariffs of GBZs). The GBZ at Kendal could admit patients in the nursing classes 3 and 4 (nursing fees resp. ƒ 3 and ƒ 1,50). In the Regeeringsalmanak of 1930 the hospital was also mentioned (p. 413).
The Indisch Verslag 1935 mentions the results of negotiations with different autonomous regions about the transfer of health care from the central government to these regions as a measure of decentralization. The GBZ at Kendal will be managed by the Regency of Kendal as of 1 January 1935.
Kendal was a Regency, district and sub-district with a principal town of the same name. It belonged to the Residency of Semarang in the province of Central Java. The regency had 434,000 inhabitants,of whom about 1,000 Europeans. Private industrial activities were found in coffee,tea, sugar, cacao, kina and rubber. (Gonggryp 1934,644).
See also General hospitals 1940-Google maps for the location of the hospital.