The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Malang was preceded by the Civiele Ziekengesticht at Malang, which was founded before 1880. Schoute mentions about 1877 the existence of a hospital for indigenous patients at Malang. The hospital (GBZ) was mentioned in the Bijblad van het Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indie (Supplement to the NI Statutebook) no. 11446 of 30 August 1927: “Vaststelling van de Regelen betreffende de bestemming van Gouvernments burgerlijke ziekeninrichtingen,de formatie van het personeel, zoomede de kosten van verpleging in die inrichtingen.”
( Regulation of target groups, personnel and tariffs of GBZs). The GBZ at Malang could admit patients in the nursing class 4 (nursing fee ƒ 1,50).The Annual Report of 1934 mentions the following transfers:“On 1st July 1934 the GBZs of Malang and Wonosobo were taken over by the Protestant Mission.”
Malang was in the 1930s a Residency with a capital of the same name. It is at the same time a regency and a district of the province of East Java. The principal town of Malang has 87,000 inhabitants of whom 7,500 Europeans and 8,500 Chinese. The town is ruled by a municipal council and a mayor. The Residency is very fertile and is surrounded by mountains and vulcanos. Cultures are: coffee, rubber, cacao and sugar. There used to be 4 sugar factories. The town is situated 443 m above sea level and has an agreeable climate (Gonggryp 1934, 795).
See also General Hospitals 1940 – Google maps for the location of town and hospital.
See also the Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003) p. 326for a townmap of Malang with the mission hospital Soekoen (successor of the GBZ) in the town quarter Soekoen.