The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Mataram, was situated in the principal town of the department Lombok. The sovereigns of the principality of Mataram ruled Lombok before the last Lombok war (1894). The hospital is mentioned in the Government Decision of 27 April 1920 no. 67 and in the Bijblad van het Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indie (Supplement of the NI Statutebook) 0f 9 February 1937 no. 13808, in which this GBZ was assigned nursing class 4 (Nursing fee ƒ 1,50).
In the 1930s, Mataram was the principal town of the Division Lombok and of the subdivision West-Lombok and homonymous district of the Residency Bali and Lombok. Before the ultimate Lombok war, the realm of Mataram dominated the whole island. The well-known Islamitic realm of Mataram originated from the Madjapahit realm. In 1575, the regent of Mataram (Soetowidjojo) was declaring his independance. He settled his reign on the small princedoms of Demak, Padjang, Kediri and some others. When the Dutch arrived, Mataram was one of two big realms (the other was Bantam) on Java. The panembahan of Mataram (Sepati) ruled over the largest part of Java and Madoera. In 1755, the Dutch East India Company divided Mataram into two still existing principalities: Soerakarta and Jogjakarta (Gonggryp 1934, 822).
See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps, for the location of town and hospital.