The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) of Modjokerto was established in the 1920s. The Bijblad van het Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indie (Supplement of the NI Statutebook) no. 11446 of 30 August 1927 was issued to regulate use, personnel and tariffs of the Inlandsche ziekenhuizen. It mentioned the GBZ of Modjokerto and agreed for this hospital the application of nursing tariffs class 3 and class 4 (nursing tariffs ƒ 3 and ƒ 1.50).
In 1931, the Resident C.A. Schnitzler of the Residency Modjokerto reported about the health condition in his Residency and mentioned that there were two hospitals in each of the regencies Modjokerto and Djombang. He reported about the very well equipped GBZ in Modjokerto of 54 beds, managed by a Gouvernements Indisch arts with a European nurse as well.
Modjokerto was a Regency with a capital of the same name of the Residency of Soerabaja in the Province of East Java. The Regency had 400,000 inhabitants, of whom 1,600 Europeans and 4,500 Chinese. The region is very fertile and has many sugar factories. In former days it was the centre of the Hindu realm Madjapahit. The capital lies on the river Brantas and the railway connection to Soerabaja (Gonggryp 1934, 862).
See also General hospitals 1940 – Google maps, for the location of the town.
See also the Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003) p.313 with a townplan of Modjokerto with indication ziekenhuis.