The Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting (Government Civil Hospital) at Ngandjoek was probably established in the 1920s. The Bijblad (Annex) to the NI Staatsblad no. 11446 of 30 August 1927 regulates use, personnel and tariffs of the inlandsche hospitals outside the 3 main cities of Java and administers only nursing class 4 to this hospital (nursing price ƒ 1.50 per day), meaning that we deal with a rather small hospital.
In the 1930s, Ngandjoek was a Regency with a capital town with the same name, part of the Residency of Kediri, province of East Java.The Regency had 475,000 inhabitants, among which 750 Europeans and 4,500 Chinese. The town is situated on the railroad to Soerabaja (Gonggryp 1934, p. 946).
See General hospitals 1940- Google maps- for the location of the town.