In 1918 the indigenous hospital of Poerwokerto (Banjoemas) is mentioned in the Regeeringsalmanak, sub Grondgebied en Bevolking, page 335. This hospital received subsidy according to the regulations of 1906. It was a private hospital. Some time later this hospital was upgraded to a public civil hospital (GBZ or Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting). It was closed as a GBZ with Government Decree of 13 May 1927. The closure was effective on 1 October 1924.
Poerwokerto was in the 1930s a regency and subdistrict with a main town of the same name. It was part of the Residency of Banjoemas (province Central Java). The regency had a population of almost 400,000 inhabitants,of whom 883 Europeans and 4,000 Chinese. The town of Poerwokerto was situated on the railroad (Gonggryp 1934, 1178-1179).