Military and civil hospital Fort de Kock
This hospital for civil indigenous patients was established at Fort de Kock (West Sumatra) by the NI Government. Annex 7171 of the Staatsblad van Nederlands-Indie refers to this hospital. In 1940, the Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde reports that a new hospital (It is called Government Civil Hospital) has been estaablished at Fort de Kock from the so-called Rubbergelden. At first the intention was to establish a tuberculosis sanatorium, but ultimately it was decided to establish a general hospital with a large department for tuberculosis patients.
From van Kol, Uit onze Kolonien: “the military and in the meantime also civil hospital Fort de Kock is made up of semi-permanent buildings and is suitable in view of the building programs and the quality standards for medical care for this kind of establishments, even in modern times. The bamboo walls seem too thin for the cold climate of Fort de Kock, but the cleanliness, order and efficient organization are remarkable.
The Dutch author Justus van Maurik describes the place Fort de Kock and mentions its hospital in: Indrukken van een totok, Amsterdam 1897 (Impressions of a newly arrived colonial):” In the hospital a great many beri-beri patients from Atjeh and elsewhere could be found, together with wounded and ill people.”
Fort de Kock (Malaysian: Bukittinggi) was in the 1930s the principal town of the department Agam, Residency Sumatra Westcoast. It is situated 900 m high and enjoys a agreeable, cool climate. The town has 15,000 inhabitants, of whom 600 Europeans. The town is situated on the main road Padang-Pakan Baroe (Eastcoast Sumatra) and on the railroad Padang-Limbanang (Gonggryp 1934, 309-310).
See also The Grote Atlas van Nederlands Oost-Indie (Asia maior/knag, 2003) page 147 with an elaborate townplan of Boekittinggi (hospital indicated with figure 4).
See also General hospitals 1940- googlemaps, for the exact location of Fort de Kock (Bukittinggi).