Entrance of the Makassar hospital, about 1900
(Imagebank KITLV code 75584)
The Inlands hospitaal at Makassar was founded in 1909. The Staatsblad van Nederlands Indie (NI Statutebook) no.58 of 1 February 1909 (Decision Governor general 38 of 23 January 1909) mentions the founding of this hospital and the appointment of its personnel:
- 1 mandoer (supervisor) at a monthly pay of ƒ 25.
- 2 male nurses at a monthly pay of ƒ 20 each.
- 2 female nurses at a monthly pay of ƒ 20 each.
- 1 verbandmeester (first aid attendant) at a monthly pay of ƒ 20.
- 1 helper (assistant) at a monthly pay of ƒ 20.
In 1920 the indigenous hospital was replaced by a new municipal hospital.
In the 1930s, Makassar was the capital of the Government of Celebes and Dependencies (Sulawesi),situated in the south of this island. It had about 87,000 inhabitants, of whom 3,600 Europeans and nearly 16,000 Chinese. It was ruled as a municipality with a municipal council and a mayor. It used to be the ancient realm of Goa. The capital Makassar is an important commercial centre: in former times it was called the Key of the Moluccas. Beside the governor, the regional military commander resides at Makassar (Gonggryp 1934, 794).
See also General hospitals 1940- Google maps, for the location of town and hospital