The indigenous hospital at Pacitan was first established as a specialized hospital for syphilitic patients. The Koloniaal Verslag 1900 mentions the conversion of a prison (blokhuis) at Pacitan into an establishment for syphilitic women.
The Staatsblad van Nederlandsch-Indie of 1 February 1909 mentions the establishment of the ‘Inlandsch Ziekengesticht’ (indigenous hospital) at Patjitan and the appointment of the following staff at this hospital: 1 mandoer at a monthly salary of f 15, 1 male servant at a monthly salary of f 10 and 1 female servant at a monthly salary of 10.
About 1927 the hospital was still mentioned and now with the qualification Government Civil Hospital (Gouvernements Burgerlijke Ziekeninrichting) together with many other formerly Inlandsche ziekenhuizen in the province of East Java (see Government Decision of 30 August 1927 no. 16553 with Regulations about the objectives and personnel of so-called GBZs).
Patjitan was in the 1930s a regency, district and subdistrict of the Residency Madiun. The main town of the regency was also called Patjitan. At that time the regency had almost 300,000 inhabitants, among whom 40 Europeans and 350 Chinese. The Gunung Sewu (100os Mountain) has stalactite caves. In the chalky rocks at the coast edible birds’ nests are found. The resort is not very fertile and difficult to irrigate. The population is productive in handicarft skills such as gold, silver and iron smitheries. The capital Patjitan is situated at the Bay of the same name ( Gonggryp 1934, 1154).