Indigenous hospital Samarinda

The indigenous hospital of Samarinda (NE Borneo) was first mentioned in the Addendum 7169 to the NI Statute-book. In later surveys it was not mentioned. Probably the hospital existed from 1905 to somewhere in the 1920s.

Samarinda was a department of the Residency Zuider- en Oosterafdeeling van Borneo (SE Kalimantan) and functio-ned under an assistant-resident. The department had 214,000 inhabitants of wwhom 2,400 Europeans and 11,500 Chinese. The principal town with the same name Samarinda is situated on the Soengai Mahakam or river Koetai and had 11,000 inhabitants. (Gonggryp 1934, 1263).